Saturday, October 1, 2011

A Vision of the Future

It takes a twisted mind, a cartoonist's mind, to put things into perspective and come up with the whacko future that awaits us. Here is Scott Adams of Dilbert fame trying his hand at this game:
According to biologists, billions of years ago the first sea creature wiggled onto the beach. This was a pivotal moment in life's long march from amorphous sea snot into the highest form of mammalian beings—hedge-fund managers. Many people see that as an improvement, but I'm not judgmental. What we don't know is why the first sea creatures were so anxious to leave their ocean habitats. My guess is that it had something to do with taxes.

Reliable people on television have informed me that taxes are the root cause of all behavior. And that means we can predict the future by looking at tax policy. In fact, I hear tax-related predictions every time I accidentally stop thinking about myself long enough to notice that others are talking. What I haven't yet seen is anyone correctly predicting the future based on tax policy. Apparently that burden has fallen to me.
Go read his article in the Wall Street Journal to see his vision in all its gory glory.

My only quibble with Scott Adams is that he has chosen the wrong side in this struggle for the future. Instead of the hedge fund managers taking the great leap from land back to sea, the really serious historic step will be taken by the land lemmings rushing to form a "more perfect union" and creating a real democracy, i.e. realize what was only a gleam in the eye of the architect's of America's Constitution. They will take the fateful step of stopping the flow of taxes from the bottom 90% into the pockets of the top 1%.

OK, I admit I have a lousy track record at predicting the future. But at least my vision has the benefit of decency and honourableness to its credit. Instead of constantly caving to the demands of the greedy rich who have painted the US and the world into a corner of bankruptcy and ruin, my vision has the benefit of letting the legions of hard working get a chance to inherit the fruit of their labour.

No comments: