Wednesday, October 5, 2011

An Insight into Steve Jobs

Here is Steve Jobs talking about his life at a Stanford graduation ceremony in 2005:



Steve Jobs was an interesting character.

Personally, I find the bit at 11:50 into this video to be the most interesting. His claim that "death is very likely the single best invention of life" is a little hard to take since I'm now nearing that age where the Grim Reaper is hanging around my door... waiting... I fully understand the "it clears out the old to make way for the new" but I'm a little resentful that I've lived my life backwards. When I was young and knew nothing I threw away my life. Now that I'm old and "wise" I don't have the future possibilities that are worthy of that wisdom. Oh well...

I remember trying to convince the principal of the high school in which I was teaching math to buy one of the original Apple personal computers in 1978 to give the kids on some "hands on" math experience with programming and algorithms. But the principal thought an electronic scoreboard for the basketball team was more important than a computer. So I quit teaching. I had learned a "lesson" in life: educational institutions are not really about "education".

No comments: