Sunday, May 23, 2010

Justice Delayed is Justice Denied

The following video is from a story that has played on Canadian TV for several years as a documentary called "The Murdered Bride". I notice that MSNBC now carries an updated version under its Dateline documentaries as "Forbidden Love". Here is a teaser that introduces the story:



Warning:The above only is an introduction and not the whole hour long Dateline story. Here is the CBC version which is about three years older so it ends up with loose ends that the Dateline version ties up and settle. If the MSNBC teaser got your interest up, watch the CBC video and then keep an eye out for a repeat of the MSNBC Dateline documentary.

You can read the details on the MSNBC Dateline site here.

There is a site with a petition calling for justice, for the police to move against the uncle and mother who directed this "honour killing" and paid the killers $50,000 for it.

What bothers me is the fact that big money is behind this. I can understand why police and the judicial system could be bought off in India. What I can't understand is the fact that apparantly money has bought off the "justice system" in Canada. There is no other rational reason why the police here, after eight years, have not acted on the arrest warrants from India and the clear evidence of culpability. Years ago I wrote letters to my MLA (Member of the Legislative Assembly) and to the Minister of Justice urging them to push the police to act. I see that the "Justice for Jassi" site has 20,000 signees for the petition, but nothing has moved the police to act. I can only conclude that justice in Canada is bought and sold and that this family had the money to buy off the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police). I'm disgusted.

No comments: