Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Cars Swept Away by Queensland Flood

Here's a video from the Queensland flood. News stories of "flooding" are abstract. This video gives you a sense of how the flood can quickly ravage things. Watching all these cars swept away reminds you that we are puny when up against the full power of a big storm:



With the attached message:
Amazing footage of East Creek near Chalk Drive / Chalk Lane rising and washing away lots of cars during Flash Flood in Toowoomba on Monday 10 January 2011. This is some of the best footage I have seen of the Flood and was taken from the second floor of our office which backs onto Chalk Lane.

It shows just how fast the creek turned into a torrent and quickly flooded Chalk Drive and Chalk Lane.

I also got some video of where the creek crosses Neil Street and some video of the aftermath and the huge amount of cars damaged and piled on top of one another in the Chalk Drive car park.

*****
With the incredible exposure that my video is receiving all over the internet and media worldwide I would like to encourage you to donate to the relief appeals.

You can donate to the Queensland Government Appeal at: http://www.qld.gov.au/floods/donate.html

Or the Churches of Christ Care Queensland Flood Appeal here:
http://care.cofcqld.com.au/site/docs/...

Please pray for us. There are many people who are suffering through this.
A question...

As I watch this video of a man taping cars being threatened and swept away beside an office complex, I see only one man from the complex to save his car. I wonder... Didn't anybody run around the complex warning drivers to move their cars before they were swept away. Isn't there something odd about videoing a disaster when you might instead run around trying to warn or help people save their cars? I don't know the facts on the ground so I don't want to accuse anybody of moral failings, but I do find it odd to passively watch disaster unfolding with no obvious attempt to organize a rescue. I just don't understand.

No comments: