Friday, January 22, 2010

Clever Krugman Cuts Another Characterization

I get a chuckle out of Krugmans wordsmanship. But I don't lose sight of his keen understanding of the realpolitik of Washington and how the people get lost in the shuffle of interest group politics.

Here's a clever piece posted by Krugman on his NY Times blog:
Geithnerdaemmerung?

One surprise consequences of the debacle in Massachusetts is that Democrats are suddenly turning on the architects of the financial rescue. Bernanke’s reappointment doesn’t look so certain; Geithner and Summers are apparently on the outs.

How far this goes I don’t know. But it’s a remarkable turnaround from the Man of the Year stuff. Funny how evidence of an angry electorate concentrates the mind — concentrates it on the fact that an economy in which there are 6.4 job-seekers per opening isn’t a success story.

And yes, this post is partly designed to put dibs on the term in the headline.
I sure hope Geithner and Summers are out. It is costing me a fortune. But I lost almost half my retirement when their "let Wall Street run with no rules" created the Great Recession. And over the last few days I've watched another 5% of what little I have left evaporate once again as the stock market goes into a panic over Obama promising to "get tough" with Wall Street. Even through it is costing me dearly, I want Obama to get tough with Wall Street. I'm tired of those fat cats screwing everybody. They destroyed the world economy and Summers & Geithner have diddled while Rome burns. They continue to play footsie with Wall Street and ignore the needs of the economy and the people. I wish Obama would fire them both (and Bernanke) and put some real regulators in place. The role of government is not to fatten the purses of Wall Street. It is to provide economic stability, growth, and jobs. On all three counts Summers & Geithner (and Bernanke) have failed. Off with their heads!

No comments: