Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Little New York Centric History

I've been to NY city once 45 years ago for roughly 18 hours spent mostly sleeping in a car parked on the street in the middle of the night, so this will will have to pass for my "best tour so far" of that city...



Notice the bits about crooks, pirates, and wheeler-dealers. Not my kind of town.

During my short visit many years ago, I remember insulting "my host" when shown his home in a brownstone building with bars and locks everywhere. I insulted him when I comments "so this is what the slums of New York look like". I was then lectured about how brownstones were upscale and not slums. Needless to say, I was not invited to shelter overnight in his domicile, but pointed to the streets where I bedded down.

By the way... if you want a little nostalgia, here is a wonderful article with embedded videos that show the evolution of the song "Try a Little Tenderness" (and here is the Wikipedia article). The article is a lot more fun because you can listen to the recordings that show how this song went from saccharin to soulful to camp.

No comments: