Sure Anthony Weiner was sleazy. But you don't force a politician to resign if he has bad fashion taste. Weiner didn't break any laws. He showed stupidity, but if that is your measuring stick, then 95% of the the legislators in the Congress should be forced to resign right now.
Weiner's own Democratic party forced him to resign. That's why there is no effective counter-weight to the Republican slime machine.
From Wikipedia, here are Republicans guilty of sex scandals much worse the Weiner and they weren't forced by their political party to walk the plank and resign:
- Chip Pickering, (R-MS) On July 16, 2009 it was announced that his wife had filed an alienation of affection lawsuit against Elizabeth Byrd, a woman with whom Chip allegedly had an affair. The lawsuit claimed the adulterous relationship ruined the Pickerings' marriage and his political career.
- John Ensign Senator (R-NV) Resigned his position as Chairman of the Senate Republican Policy Committee on June 16, 2009, after admitting he had an affair with Cynthia Hampton, the wife of a close friend, both of whom were working on his campaign. Under investigation, he then resigned his seat in Congress 20 months early. In 1998, Senator Ensign had called for President Bill Clinton (D) to resign after admitting to sexual acts with Monica Lewinsky.
- Vito Fossella, Representative (R-NY) Arrested for drunk driving. Under questioning, the married Congressman, father of three, admitted to an affair with Laura Fay that produced a daughter.
- Larry Craig, Senator (R-ID) Pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct following his arrest in a Minneapolis airport men's room in June 2007, on a charge of lewd conduct. Senator Craig had previously stated that "people already know that Bill Clinton is a bad boy - a naughty boy."
- David Vitter, Senator (R-LA): Took over former Congressman Robert Livingston's House seat in 1999, who resigned following revelations of an extramarital affair. At the time, Vitter stated: "I think Livingston's stepping down makes a very powerful argument that (Bill) Clinton should resign as well ..." Vitters' name was then discovered in the address book of the DC Madam Deborah Jeane Palfrey. He admitted his adultery and withdrew from the 2003 gubernatorial race for governor.
- Jack Ryan, Senate candidate (R-IL) During sealed divorce proceedings in 2004, his wife Jeri Ryan accused him of forcing her to go to public sex clubs and described one as "a bizarre club with cages, whips and other apparatus hanging from the ceiling."
- Don Sherwood, Representative (R-PA) Failed to win re-election following revelations of a five-year extramarital affair with Cynthia Ore, who accused him of physically abusing her.
It is sad that the Democratic party has a leader, Obama, who thinks you lead by compromise, by giving the other side what it wants, then asks "What more can I give you?". Nobody in the Democratic party is outraged by the fact that unemployment is 9% and that millions are being foreclosed and tossed out of their houses because of Wall Street scam that -- really a crime that lured unsuspecting into signing papers that set them up to lose their house -- and when the economy blew up, the Wall Street banks got $700 billion of taxpayer money while the people being forced out of their homes get nothing. Where are the politicians who will fight for the ordinary people instead of selling their soul to big money?
Thomas Jefferson, writer of the Declaration of Independence, founding father who helped write the Constitution, forced his black slave to have sex and bear him children. But he ended up being a president. Sure. What he did was a crime. But if you make people ineligible for political office because they have lax morals or are "on the make" you will be left with a handful of prudes and prigs to run your government. And I can assure you that you will hate that far more than allowed some morally questionable people -- who have been legally elected to represent their constituents -- do do their job and stop with all the moral prudery about sex and bad manners.