Thursday, March 17, 2011

Credo

Here is a bit from a statement of principles by Ross McKitrick. From his web site we get his statement about the WWF's Earth Hour:
I don't want to go back to nature. Travel to a zone hit by earthquakes, floods and hurricanes
to see what it’s like to go back to nature. For humans, living in "nature" meant a short life
span marked by violence, disease and ignorance. People who work for the end of poverty
and relief from disease are fighting against nature. I hope they leave their lights on.
Here in Ontario, through the use of pollution control technology and advanced engineering,
our air quality has dramatically improved since the 1960s, despite the expansion of industry
and the power supply. If, after all this, we are going to take the view that the remaining air
emissions outweigh all the benefits of electricity, and that we ought to be shamed into
sitting in darkness for an hour, like naughty children who have been caught doing
something bad, then we are setting up unspoiled nature as an absolute, transcendent ideal
that obliterates all other ethical and humane obligations. No thanks. I like visiting nature
but I don't want to live there, and I refuse to accept the idea that civilization with all its
tradeoffs is something to be ashamed of.
Count me in. I enjoy brief visits to "nature" but I don't want to be one of those half million in northern Japan having to forage for food and warmth and a place to sleep. I'm pretty sure that hundreds are dying each day because the "natural conditions" are just too harsh.

No comments: