Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Happy Thoughts, Happy Feet

After watching the Susan Boyle video yesterday, I've been on a bit of a "happy thought" binge. I was reading bits here and there on the web when I ran across this "flash mob" happening in Antwerp Belgium (in the Globe & Mail in a blog by J. Kelly Nestruck).

Nestruck has made my day. He has pointed me at another bit of unexpected happiness, another delightful video surprise. So I've stuck it below to share the fun...



This song & dance event reminds me of the "happenings" that the hippies staged in the 1960s. It reminds me of 1965 when "The Sound of Music" hit the movie houses with Julie Andrews singing that song. It is a wonderful example of "performance art" disguised as a spontaneous street event.

The following shows that it "didn't just happen". The following video gives you a hint of the planning, practice, and production work that went into staging a "spontaneous" event...



According to this site, the above "happening" was in fact a...
guerrilla ad from a Dutch TV version of “In Search of Maria“ (op Zoek naar Maria), a BBC series, produced by the Belgian commercial network VTM
OK, so it wasn't a bunch of amateurs who brainstormed over beer and bagels and decided to do some performance art. It was commercial. But still is a delight to watch the first time you encounter it. It is just a "fun" concept to stage a dance in the middle of a railway station house, the Antwerp Central station.

No comments: