Saturday, August 2, 2008

A Little Light Music

I stumbled across this song by Colbie Caillat and enjoyed its light happy tune. Appropriately it is called "Bubbly". Nice tune...



I'm not a big consumer of music, but I always wonder: Why is commercial music filled with so much crass material, so much sexist, beat-heavy, urban ugliness? I enjoy a little fantasy with my music. This song fits the bill! So why isn't a singer like Colbie winning big market share?

But like all good stories, this one has a happy ending. Here's what is written about Colbie on her MySpace page:

Once she had a bunch of songs, she put a few of them on MySpace, more in hope than expectation. "Nothing much happened for a few months," she remembers. "Then I wrote this song called Bubbly and put it up there and it got this huge reaction. I mean thousands and thousands of hits every day."

In the end, she became the number one unsigned artist on MySpace for four successive months, garnering an almost unbelievable 10 million plays. Record labels started courting her and she signed with Universal Republic because, she says, they offered her total creative freedom. "The great thing about MySpace is that you can build up an army of fans and then when you go to a record company, there's no point in them trying to change what you do because it's already been tried and tested," she points out.

No comments: