Thursday, February 11, 2010

Obama Doesn't Get It

I've pulled these bits (out of order) from a Paul Krugman posting on his NY Times blog. Krugman is complaining that Obama doesn't understand the problem with Wall Street bankers salaries (let alone the risk taking these executives led which caused the world economy to collapse). I've bolded key bits:
QUESTION: Let’s talk bonuses for a minute: Lloyd Blankfein, $9 million; Jamie Dimon, $17 million. Now, granted, those were in stock and less than what some had expected. But are those numbers okay?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, look, first of all, I know both those guys. They’re very savvy businessmen. And I, like most of the American people, don’t begrudge people success or wealth. That’s part of the free market system. I do think that the compensation packages that we’ve seen over the last decade at least have not matched up always to performance. I think that shareholders oftentimes have not had any significant say in the pay structures for CEOs.

...

...the White House is trying to limit the damage from those Obama remarks about bankers’ compensation, providing more context. I wish I could say that it helps a lot; but it doesn’t.

Again: the president compares Wall Street paychecks to baseball players. That’s really bad messaging: first, baseball players didn’t trigger a global economic collapse, and second, the baseball industry isn’t the beneficiary of a massive and continuing taxpayer bailout (continuing because banks would be in deep trouble even now if it weren’t for the belief that they have a government backstop).

Yes, he said some things about making compensation better tied to results — but it was framed purely in terms of stockholder interests, with no mention, again, of the damage bankers have done and the public support they still require.

Sam Stein says that Obama has said somewhat similar things before. OK, although I wonder if that was in direct response to a question about Lloyd Blankfein. Moreover, on previous occasions he has also said something about Wall Street’s reliance on public bailouts; if that’s in this interview, it hasn’t been released.

And anyway, if people didn’t really pick up on previous instances onf similar tone deafness, so what?

I mean, how hard is it for the White House to understand that it’s a really, really bad idea to be saying nice things about bailed-out bankers, Goldman Sachs in particular? Even if you think it’s a bad idea to come across too populist — and why, exactly? — be evasive and judicious, say something neutral. Do NOT praise Lloyd Blankfein’s savvy, OK?

Maybe it was a bit strong for me to say that we’re doomed, but this really is shocking and dispiriting.

...

Just to be clear: what freaks me out about this isn’t what it says about Obama’s policies, it’s what it says about failure to read the mood of the country. The president seems solely concerned that someone might think that he’s anti-business, without — in this interview, at least — appearing to consider it necessary to say a thing about the pervasive sense of unfair Wall Street privilege. He doesn’t have to bash bankers every step of the way, but to respond to a question about bonuses solely by praising free markets and comparing bankers to baseball stars is … clueless.
Yep... that sums up my disappointment with Obama. He's a bright guy, but when it comes to economics, and employment, and income inequality, and growing the economy, and the uneven playing field that makes America less socially mobile for the meritorious poor than Europe... he is clueless.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is the "I have mine and to hell with everyone else" mentality that is so prevalent in this economy. These people don't care even about the very home that they live in. So many images come to mind, but the cartoon character sawing off the limb that he is sitting on comes to mind among others.

I have been reading a post on TomDispatch about Obama in comparison to FDR . I have not had a moment to completely read it, but it is interesting.

Unknown said...

I am sorry, I wanted to put this quote in the last comment (oops). This is from FDR's first inaugural:
"Stripped of the lure of profit by which to induce our people to follow their false leadership, they have resorted to exhortations, pleading tearfully for restored conditions. They know only the rules of a generation of self-seekers.

They have no vision, and when there is no vision the people perish.

The money changers have fled their high seats in the temple of our civilization. We may now restore that temple to the ancient truths.

The measure of the restoration lies in the extent to which we apply social values more noble than mere monetary profit.

Happiness lies not in the mere possession of money, it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort.

The joy and moral stimulation of work no longer must be forgotten in the mad chase of evanescent profits. These dark days will be worth all they cost us if they teach us that our true destiny is not to be ministered unto but to minister to ourselves and to our fellow-men.

Recognition of the falsity of material wealth as the standard of success goes hand in hand with the abandonment of the false belief that public office and high political position are to be values only by the standards of pride of place and personal profit, and there must be an end to a conduct in banking and in business which too often has given to a sacred trust the likeness of callous and selfish wrongdoing."

RYviewpoint said...

Thomas: Thanks for the link to TomDispatch. The essay on Roosevelt by Steve Fraser was excellent. I've seen this site in the past, but I don't follow it. But maybe I should.

I especially enjoyed your quote from the Roosevelt inaugural. I deeply agree with "Happiness lies not in the mere possession of money, it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort."

I remember getting strange reactions when I would tell my manager that money wasn't that important. I wanted a job gave me a challenge. He kept counseling me that "the company isn't family, this is purely a contractual relationship". Well, I didn't see it that way and I never wanted to see it that way. If you spend almost a third of your time at work, it should be socially rewarding as well as monetarily rewarding. Otherwise you've sold your soul to the Devil.

My view was strictly a minority view. I still don't get why people would let themselves be reduced to wage slaves. You should have rights at work and work should be meaningful. I know there are lots of crappy jobs, but they can be made bearable by comaraderie and an employer that shows appreciation beyond a paycheque.

I don't understand people who want to devalue themselves and accept a role as purely wage slaves. I understand the need take what job you can if you are trying to feed yourself, but that doesn't mean you have to simply accept the "rules of the game" as they are presented to you. At the very least you can remain free within your own mind by refusing to kowtow to "the system".

Unknown said...

I agree. The current economic mess has made many a slave and diminished free thinking. I find myself very concerned about job preservation and the need to submit to requirements that should not be imposed.