Monday, January 12, 2009

Last Word

So Bush got in his "last press conference" today.

Well... I think the Dixie Chicks deserve to get in the last word. They were savaged by Bush supporters who didn't want to hear their criticism:
Just so you know, we’re ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas.

These words by Natalie Maines, lead singer of the Dixie Chicks, at a concert in Britain right before the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003 resulted in the banning of their music from country radio stations throughout the South. Popular anger called for Natalie to be “strapped to a missile and sent to Iraq” and “Deport the Dixie Twits” and “Try the Chicks 4 treason.” Record sales plummeted, and the band had to perform arena shows under death threat.

Maines has one regret: the apology she offered George W. Bush at the onset of her infamy. "I apologized for disrespecting the office of the President," says Maines. "But I don't feel that way anymore. I don't feel he is owed any respect whatsoever."

for more info: article in Time magazine and Wikipedia article
The Dixie Chicks were driven off the airwaves by right wing nuts who didn't want to hear any criticism of the Bush admin policies. Well, everybody now can see what a disaster Bush was. So I think it is time to give the Dixie Chicks the last word...
Forgive, sounds good
Forget, I'm not sure I could
They say time heal everything
But I'm still waiting

I'm through with doubt
There's nothing left for me to figure out
I've paid a price
And I'll keep paying

I'm not ready to make nice
I'm not ready to back down
I'm still mad as hell and I don't have time
To go round and round and round

It's too late to make it right
I probably wouldn't if I could
'Cause I'm mad as hell, can't bring myself
To do what it is you think I should
...
Watch the video.

No comments: