Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Buffett Interview

There is a nice interview of Warren Buffet on the Nightly Business Report. Lots of pearls of wisdom. You can watch it here.

These are the bits I really enjoyed (read the transcript):
SG: This financial crisis has been extraordinary in so many ways, how has it changed your approach to investing?

WB: Doesn't change my approach at all. My approach to investing I learned in 1949 or '50 from a book by Ben Graham and it's never changed.

SG: So many people I have talked to this past year say this was unprecedented... the unthinkable happened. And that hasn't at all impacted your philosophy on this?

WB: No and if I were buying a farm, I wouldn't change my ideas about how to buy a farm or an apartment house or a business and that's all a stock is. It's part of a business so if I were going to buy stock in a private business here in Omaha, I'd look at it just like I would have looked at it two years ago and I'll look at it the same way two years from now. I look at how much I am getting for my money, how good the management is, how the competitive position of that business compares to others, how durable it is and just fundamental questions. The stock market is... you can forget about that. Any stock I buy I will be happy owning it if they close the stock market for five years tomorrow. In other words I am buying a business. I'm not buying a stock. I'm buying a little piece of a business, just like I buy a farm. And that doesn't change. And all the newspapers headlines of the world don't change that. It doesn't mean you can't buy it cheaper tomorrow. It may turn out that way. But the real question is did I get my money's worth when I bought it?
And this...
SG: What about Berkshire Hathaway stock? Were you surprised that it took such a hit last year, given that Berkshire shareholders are such buy and hold investors?

WB: Well most of them are. But in the end our price is figured relative to everything else so the whole stock market goes down 50 percent we ought to go down a lot because you can buy other things cheaper. I've had three times in my lifetime since I took over Berkshire when Berkshire stock's gone down 50 percent. In 1974 it went from $90 to $40. Did I feel badly? No I loved it! I bought more stock. So I don't judge how Berkshire is doing by its market price, I judge it by how our businesses are doing.
And this...
SG: As you know it's the 30th anniversary of Nightly Business Report. As you look back on the past three decades, what would you say is the most important lesson that you've learned about investing?

WB: Well I've learned my lessons before that. I read a book what is it, almost 60 years ago roughly, called The Intelligent Investor and I really learned all I needed to know about investing from that book, in particular chapters 8 and 20 so I haven't changed anything since.

SG: Graham and Dodd?

WB: Well that was Ben Grahams' book The Intelligent Investor. Graham and Dodd goes back even before that which was important, very important. But you know you don't change your philosophy assuming you think have a sound one and I picked up I didn't figure it out myself, I learned it from Ben Graham, but I got a framework for investing that I put in place back in 1950 roughly and that framework is the framework I use now. I see different ways to apply it from time to time but that is the framework.

SG: Can you describe what it is? I mean what is your most important investment lesson?

WB: The most important investment lesson is to look at a stock as a piece of business not just some thing that jiggles up and down or that people recommend or people talk about earnings being up next quarter, something like that, but to look at it as a business and evaluate it as a business. If you don't know enough to evaluate it as a business you don't know enough to buy it. And if you do know enough to evaluate it as a business and its selling cheap, you buy it and don't worry about what its doing next week, next month or next year.

No comments: