Friday, April 23, 2010

Scientific Experiment

A new theory of earthquakes has been posed by an eminent Muslim theologian:
"Many women who do not dress modestly ... lead young men astray, corrupting their chastity and spread adultery in society, which (consequently) increases earthquakes." Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi
Purdue University student, Jennifer McCreight, has risen to the challenge and proposes a scientific test as reported by the Examiner.
A cleavage barring movement is underway in a valley near you. Called 'Boobquake;' the event already has 90,000 women across the globe committed to showing their own in an effort to ‘help stop supernatural thinking and oppression of women.”

Boobquake is the brain child of Purdue University student, Jennifer McCreight. The self described "liberal, geeky, nerdy, scientific, perverted atheist feminist" decided to donate her D-cups for political and scientific reasons: The event is a direct response to the recent Iranian clerical claim that promiscuous women cause natural disasters.

"Many women who do not dress modestly ... lead young men astray, corrupting their chastity and spread adultery in society, which (consequently) increases earthquakes," Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi was quoted as saying by Iranian media.

Sedighi is Tehran's acting Friday prayer leader.

“Sedighi claims that not dressing modestly causes earthquakes. If so, we should be able to test this claim scientifically.” said McCreight on official Facebook page for the event.

“On Monday, April 26th, I will wear the most cleavage-showing shirt I own. Yes, the one usually reserved for a night on the town. I encourage other female skeptics to join me and embrace the supposed supernatural power of their breasts. Or short shorts, if that's your preferred form of immodesty. With the power of our scandalous bodies combined, we should surely produce an earthquake.”

...

McCreight is astounded by the tremendous response, and has written a clarification to those who questioned her motives.

Boobquake is not meant to be "demeaning toward women." She explains in a recent blog. "To be honest...I never thought it would get the attention it did. If I would have known, I would have spent more time being careful about my wording."

"That being said, I don't think the event is completely contrary to feminist ideals. I'm asking women to wear their most "immodest" outfit that they already would wear, but to coordinate it all on the same day for the sake of the experiment...I don't want to force people out of their comfort zones, because I believe women have the right to choose how they want to dress. Please don't pressure women to participate if they don't want to. If men ogle, that's the fault of the men, not me for dressing how I like. If I want to a show a little cleavage or joke about my boobs, that's my prerogative."

For more info, visit the official Facebook page. This article contains updates from the original.
Great experiment. But I already know what the faithful Muslims will say: "Yes, immodest dress causes earthquakes, but only Allah knows which earthquake and when!" Unlike science, religion has no acid test because you can always "reinterpret" facts to fit beliefs. In science it is the other way around, you have to revise your theories to fit the facts.

By the way, it isn't only Muslim fanatics that have crazy views. Here's a Christian fundamentalist, Hank Erwin, who agrees with Sedighi that immodesty causes earthquakes.

No comments: